People may have all kinds of reasons for participating in an organized race—perhaps one of their weight loss goals is to try a 5K, or maybe they are running to benefit a charity. But, then there are folks who run races as a hobby. They train all year-round, they purchase a few pairs of running shoes annually and they enter between 7-9 races each year. They’re not necessarily the fastest runners, but they do run a lot!
Naturally, these serial race runners can’t participate in every event they come across, so how do they choose which ones to sign up for? According to a 2010 survey done by Running USA, these are five of the top ten factors that are most likely to determine whether these regular runners will register for a race.
- Date & Location of the Event. This is the most likely factor to affect whether or not someone registers for a race. It also happens to be the one factor not entirely in your control. You can’t change a runner’s schedule or their availability and there are bound to be constraints on the location you use as well. Scheduling your event on a holiday or to coincide with some other local event is a great way to entice people to register.
- Distance. The length of the run is another important deciding factor for runners. An easy fix for this would be to include options for the length of the run. Beginners can choose a 5K, those looking for a challenge can try a 10K. For this to work, you’ll need a sophisticated race timing software to track results. At SpectaSport, we use only the most advanced race timing technology—it’s based on the same technology EZ-Pass uses.
- Sounds Like Fun. We’ve talked before about charity run/walk-ers like to struggle a bit for their cause, but that doesn’t mean entrants don’t want to have fun! We’ve compiled a list of seven ways to make races fun for participants—a sure way to keep them coming back year after year.
- Reputation of Event Organizers. You want to have a solid track record of putting on amazing events, and there are a lot of ways to do this (see #3), but the easiest way is to make the registration simple and race timing sophisticated. Registering for an event should be intuitive and it should be done in a way that minimizes errors. Our fully-integrated registration system makes signing up for a race so easy, and the data is secure so your participants’ data will never be compromised or sold to a 3rd party service. Our kiosks allow registrants to check their data on the day of the race to confirm information before the results are calculated.
- Chip-timed. In the 21st century, this is a big deal for runners! They want to know that their results are going to be accurate and that they are going to get them fast. With SpectaSport, race timing results are posted in real time, so runners can check their status immediately upon finishing their race. This is not only much more fun for the participants, but it’s safer, as it avoids the bottle-necking collision at the end of the track and it allows the runners to cool down after the race, rather than stick around the finish line and stop moving.
Why Choose SpectaSport as your Race Timing Partner?
We make your life easier. Race organizers have a lot on their plate, so we like to help out by making sure the logistics are taken care of, and they’re taken care of well. We are proud to provide superior services that our clients continually tell us make the difference between a good race and a great race. To inquire about what we can do for your race, click here, to take a look at our upcoming races, click here.