Planning a race can be exciting and fun. But the truth is, planning can also be a timesuck. If not well managed, busy-ness can be confused for productivity, leaving you with too many loose ends come race day. This is why you need a great team. Some people are superb vision-casters and others are better at the nitty-gritty details. In order to execute your plan successfully, you need to keep both in balance and stick to your timeline.
The 5 Phases of Successful 5K Race Organization
- The Planning Phase: 2-3 weeks. Create your basic course layout and obtain your local permits. Once you’re in the clear, Spectasport will put together your race website and online registration. During this time, your committee should obtain insurance, finalize course details, design a logo, choose a t-shirt vender, and take care of bathroom facilities, parking, and managing intersections.
- Executing the Marketing: 6-9 months. This is where the planning must stop and all attention must turn to executing the plan. This phase should be intensely focused on marketing your event. This means selling sponsorships, marketing to runners, and attracting volunteers. In phase two, any planning decisions that require committee discussion often become distractions. Stay true to your goals and stay focused on the necessities.
- The Nuts & Bolts: 3 weeks before the race. This is the final countdown. It’s time to execute all the plans you made in phase one. Order t-shirts, double-check with local authorities, confirm details with all vendors (don’t forget port-a-potties), stock up on water, food, prizes, and more. This is often the most stressful phase because some tasks (like food) can’t be accomplished until the last minute.
- Celebrate! Your committee and volunteers worked hard to put on this race, it’s important to acknowledge and celebrate their success. This is an opportunity to wrap up the year’s efforts with positivity and optimism for the next year. Enjoy yourselves!
- Back to the Drawing Board. It is imperative that within 10 days of completing your event that you hold a meeting to debrief and plan for next year. Doing this as soon as possible is the best quality control for your organization. Spend your time celebrating what went right, identifying improvements, and creating a stellar vision for next year’s event.
SpectaSport Can Make Your Race Great
SpectaSport’s “Charity Star” package has helped with hundreds of 5K races. We provide all customers with a “Make Your Race Great” checklist to ensure you stay on track. Our formula has proven itself time and time again to be the best way to set your 5K race up for success. Fill out our online form or call (610) 306-0574 to begin working with SpectaSport today.